Sarah Avery is a Doctor of Physical Therapy, PYT, RYT200, a Certified Professional Yoga Therapist and a 200-hour Yoga Alliance Certified Teacher. She specializes in working with osteoporosis clients in her clinical practice.
Building Strong Bones: How Strength Training and Yoga Can Help Manage Osteoporosis
Osteoporosis is a condition that affects millions of people worldwide, especially older adults. It causes bones to become weak and brittle, making them more prone to fractures and breaks.
One of the most effective ways to build bone mass is through strength training. Studies have shown that loading bones can help to increase bone density and reduce the risk of fractures in people with osteoporosis. However, many people are hesitant to engage in strength training due to concerns about safety, access to equipment, and time constraints.
That’s why we developed our Strength Training and Yoga for Osteoporosis Program. It is a virtual, do-at-home program led by knowledgeable osteoporosis-informed coaches. The program also contains yoga and balance exercises to offer a well-rounded approach to increasing bone density, as well as preserving long-term wellbeing, function, and independence.
The program offers a safe and convenient way for those suffering from osteoporosis - and those at risk of developing it - to engage in resistance and strength training in the comfort of their own homes. The clients have daily access to their coach for a fully interactive and supportive experience.
Here are just a few of the many benefits of this program:
- Increased bone density: Strength training has been shown to increase bone density. By participating in this program, people can improve and maintain their bone health and reduce risk of future injury.
- Improved balance and stability: The program includes exercises to improve balance and stability, reducing the risk of falls and resulting injuries.
- Convenience: Clients can do their strengthening exercises in the comfort of their own homes, without the hassle and cost of commuting to a gym or fitness centre.
- Personalized coaching: Each client has daily access to a knowledgeable coach who specializes in strength training for people with osteoporosis. This ensures that exercises are safe and effective.
- Community support: You’ll be part of a group with others who are also working to improve their bone health! Joint sessions, live Zoom check-ins with your coach, and a training buddy system provide motivation and support, as well as an opportunity to share tips and strategies for success.
It's not uncommon for patients with osteoporosis to have concerns about potential side effects associated with medications. While osteoporosis-related medications may be a suitable treatment option for some patients, a strength training approach can be beneficial, whether on its own or in combination with medication.
Strength training should always be done under the supervision of an osteoporosis-informed coach. Aside from making sure the program is suitable and safe, a coach can make modifications for patients with existing health conditions or injuries.
If you or a loved one is living with osteoporosis, strength training can be an effective alternative or a complementary treatment for building bone mass and reducing risk of fractures.
Together, we can work to improve your bone health and help you live a healthy, active life! To find out more about the program, visit our website to read program details and testimonials from happy customers.